Hi hi hi!
I was planning to talk about this trip a couple months ago, but there was so much I wanted to pack into it – I just couldn’t finish the original post. Now that some time has passed, I feel like I can finally talk about the entire trip.
My boyfriend and I went to Disneyland (Anaheim, CA) for my birthday weekend back in October. Disneyland was celebrating their 60th anniversary (diamond) and since it was almost Halloween, they were decked out in all their Halloween decorations!
Here are some tips when it comes to going to Disneyland:
- Military: One of my co-workers went to Disneyland and they were able to save a lot using their military discount and buying the tickets on base. If you are in the military and want to take your family on a great vacation, definitely consider purchasing tickets on base.
- Lodging off of Disney property: The best way to save money will be to look at hotels/motels off of the Disney property – however, be aware that you will pay more for than typical hotels/motels even if you go off property. My boyfriend and I stayed at a motel about 2 blocks away from Disneyland and paid maybe about $85 for the night. It’s still more than what we would typically pay for other motels, but we understood that we were still near Disneyland and we would have to pay the price for it.
- Park hopper: if you are planning to stay more than one day invest in the park hopper pass! The park hopper lets you go between Disneyland and California Adventure. Disneyland is more for the little kids, but has some of the staple rides like Splash Mountain and of course you the the castle. California Adventure has more rides for the older kids like Screamin California and Toy Story Midway.
- Fast Passes: Do your research on Fast Passes! If you haven’t been to Disneyland in a while, just be aware that some of the shows that used to be free and first come first serve seating now require Fast Passes. These also save a lot of time when it comes to certain rides. I highly suggest getting a fast pass for Indiana Jones – it’s a fun ride, but the line can legitimately be as long as 1-2 hour(s) wait. There are rules with the Fast Passes, but unfortunately I don’t remember what they are.
- Go during the weekdays: We went on the weekend and it was miserable there were lines everywhere and it was so difficult trying to get through the crowds. I’m 5’3″ and my boyfriend is around 6’3″ – it was easy for him to lose me even while holding my hand! My co-worker went during the weekday and she said it was pretty empty. So empty that they could ride the popular rides more than once!
- Ask cast members: cast members are the best way to find out character appearances, when to start waiting for the parade(s), where the best place to see the fireworks are, etc. They are trained to help, so utilize it!
- Shop last: if you’re planning to pick up souvenirs for family and friends I highly suggest saving it for last – like before you leave the park for good. However, don’t do your shopping in Disneyland, enjoy the park, rides, and characters instead. Save the shopping for Downtown Disney. They have way more places to shop and since it’s bigger there’s more space to look around.
- Eat light meals: if you’re going to be spending all day at the park, especially during the Summer, I highly suggest eating light snacks/meals like salads, fruit, etc. Eating heavier/greasy meals can slow you down and make you feel a little sick – stick with the light stuff to keep you going through the day.
Overall, I loved going to Disneyland! I’m a kid at heart and I feel like no matter how old I get or how crowded Disneyland is, I’m still going to get that sense of wonder and joy from it. Disneyland has always been this sanctuary for me because it’s filled with so many happy memories. I was glad to be able to share this particular experience with my boyfriend. I wish we could’ve stayed longer and gotten the park hopper pass, but I loved it nonetheless.
What’s your favorite thing to do/ride/see at Disneyland? What are some of your tips when it comes to going to Disneyland? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to follow me on here, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!