Hi hi hi!
Thought it’d be nice to take a break from all the keto/lifestyle posts and finally put up a review. Today, I’m focusing on the HudA Beauty Mauve Obsessions palette. If you’re interested, keep on reading.
I purchased the Huda Beauty Mauve Obsessions palette through Sephora a couple months ago and have been using it on and off. Pros:
- Compact and easy to travel with
- Price Point
Since I like to get the bad things over with first, let me go through the cons first.
- Application: I would say that I am a novice when it comes to applying eyeshadow. I mean, I wear it every day and I think the looks I create are great for everyday wear. When I used this palette, I was less confident in my eyeshadow application ability. When applying eyeshadows, I have a system and it has worked for basically every palette that I have ever used and every look that I do, but this palette threw me for a loop. When I tried to place the dark maroon in my outer V, I saw that it was patchy and every time I tried to build upon it, it would remove the first layer. So I built it up as best as I could and moved onto my lids. I decided to go with one of the shimmery eyeshadows; I used a flat semi-dense brush to apply the shadow, and all I got was a sheer wash of pink with glitter. Frustrated, I went in with my ring finger to pack on the color and it helped a little, but it was still so sheer. You could say I was pretty frustrated with my experience.
- Pigmentation: I had heard and read a lot of great reviews regarding Huda Beauty eyeshadows and since I don’t have the luxury to drop a pretty penny on some of the larger palettes, this was a great deal and way to test out some of the eyeshadows. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. The mattes are decent, but the biggest disappointment are the shimmers. I had seen so many videos of people applying Huda Beauty shimmery eyeshadows and they look stunning, but when I applied it, it was extremely sheer! It takes a lot of time to work with the shimmery shades and in the mornings when I’m getting ready for work, I just don’t have the patience to deal with it. The mattes like I mentioned above are decent, but it’s nearly impossible to layer. I tried to do an all matte look, but I couldn’t get it to layer on my lids. It ended up looking patchy and I had to layer two different colors to get it to look like it was an even layer.
- Longevity: As you can probably tell from the pigmentation and application, the longevity isn’t the greatest. About 4 hours of wear time, I noticed that the color on my lids started to drift and it looked like a hot mess. At the end of the day, I was ready to take this off my eyes.
Alright, now that I got out all of my frustrations about this product out, let’s jump into the pros:
- Compact and easy to travel with: The size of this palette makes it so easy to take with you anywhere. It’s compact and lightweight. I could easily see myself bringing this with me on any trip or vacation.
- Cohesive If only the application and pigmentation was spot on, this would be such an amazing palette! I love the variety of colors that are provided in this palette. It has three shimmers and six mattes, with one of them being a matte cream which is great for highlighting! I am able to create whole looks with just this palette.
- Price Point: The price point on this particular palette is really good – you get 9 eyeshadows for $25 and since you get a great variety of shimmers and mattes, you have an opportunity to really try out a variety of finishes.
I am not impressed by this palette at all. There is so much I wish that this palette was, but it falls short on all aspects. When I get ready in the morning for work or just to head out of the house, I stay far away from this palette. As much as I want this palette to be amazing and a great bang for your buck, it falls short on all the important aspects. I have tried drugstore palettes that are far superior to this particular palette.
Huda Beauty does have two other palettes available in this particular layout, however, I haven’t had the opportunity to pick them up and try it. Have you tried out this palette? I would love to know what your experience is with it. I keep thinking that maybe I’m just not using the right eyeshadow base (Urban Decay Primer Potion) with this palette, or maybe I’m using the wrong brushes… I’m pretty much at a loss for words with this palette.