Hi hi hi!
I recently came back from a trip to Hawaii – specifically, the Big Island and I wanted to share some of my tips when it comes to packing makeup. I often find myself struggling when it comes to either packing too much makeup or too little and over the years, I think I finally figured out how to pack just the right amount. Here are my tips.
First off, there are a couple of questions I ask myself prior to a trip, and if you’re wondering, I try to plan what I’m packing and bringing about 3-5 days in advance of when I’m leaving. The questions are:
- Why am I going?
- Where am I going (weather wise)?
By answering these questions, it helps me determine what I pack/bring. I just came back from a trip to Hawai’i (Big Island) and I will be using that trip as an example:
- Why am I going? I went to the Big Island mainly for my Uncle’s funeral, which spanned two days. I knew that I would be seeing a lot of family and the days would be long. So I opted to go with my typical makeup routine since it can last me about 12-14 hours without any major issues (as long as I use my Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray).
- Where am I going? Hawaii can be extremely humid and hot, but I knew that the area I would be staying in majority of the time would be cooler than the other areas of the island. So I knew that I could get away with wearing a little more makeup than I would think I would wear.
With those two questions being answered, here are the essentials I brought:
- Morning Skincare I use the same products everyday, so the first things to be packed up were my e.l.f. Daily Hydration Moisturizer, Kiehl’s Since 1851 Ultra Facial Moisturizer, and Kiehl’s Since 1851 Super Multi-Corrective Eye-Opening Serum. I knew that I would use these products everyday and I didn’t want my skin to freak out on me because I wasn’t keeping up with my skincare routine.
- Primer To help my eyeshadow and eyebrows last, I definitely needed to bring my Urban Decay Primer Potion. My lids are extremely oily and can easily breakdown eyeshadows, so I always need a primer.
- Eyebrow Pencil On an everyday basis, I knew I could get away with foundation, lashes and brows. So of course, I had to bring my holy grail e.l.f. Brow Pencil in Taupe and Neutral Brown.
- Foundation Speaking of foundation, I brought my holy grail Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless because it’s a great everyday foundation that provides a decent amount of coverage, lasts for a decent amount of time (without a primer) and is just an overall great foundation. To help with the longevity, I also brought along the Maybelline Superstay Foundation. I like this foundation because it’s a little thicker and provides the longevity that my matte and poreless doesn’t have. Together, they make the perfect medium-full coverage foundation that lasts me almost all day.
Pack As You Go If you are planning to bring your everyday makeup products with you on your trip, I suggest packing it as you go. As soon as you use it, plop it into your makeup bag. That way you don’t have to worry about forgetting anything.
Palettes Are your Friend With the amount of eyeshadow palettes that are being sold, you can definitely find a palette that will allow you to create a variety of looks and is also compact. Plus, most palettes include colors that can be used for your brows, as a highlight, and sometimes even blush!
Travel Sizes If you can find a travel size of your favorite products, I highly suggest purchasing it, especially liquids and lotions/creams. It will help you save room in your makeup bag, but if you also need to consolidate items into a smaller pouch, it’ll be a lot easier to do so.
Those are all my tips for easy makeup packing! I would love to know what your tips are in regards to packing your makeup for trips!